Flower of Love
For years, we have witnessed the array of displays for Valentine’s Day. Stores put out the cute stuffed animals, the chocolates, foil balloons, and a big, beautiful selection of floral arrangements. Roses have played a big role on this day, becoming the most popular flower to give your significant other.
You may have heard that the meaning behind the rose is “love”. Fossil evidence dates this popular flower to be 35 million years old and tracks back to China. A few ways that roses were used for include decor, medicine, and scents. Eventually when the Romans were introduced to the flower, it was so valuable that they were used as a form of currency.
It has become so popular to give on Valentine’s Day and the demand of the flower continues to increase. This causes the price of the flower to go up as well especially if they have to be imported. Roses are a flower that can be bought year-round and are not related to one particular holiday making it another reason it is popular.
Meanings Behind the Roses
Roses come in a variety of colors and it is believed that every color has a different meaning.
- Red: symbol of romance, love, and the easiest way to say “I love you”. It also mirrors beauty and perfection.
- Pink: conveys grace, admiration, joy, and sweetness just to name a few.
- White: symbolizing purity and new beginnings, white roses are often used in weddings. They can also symbolize innocence, remembrance, and charm.
- Yellow: provides the meaning of friendship and joy as well as cheer and creates warm feelings.
Want to see more colors and their meanings? Click here to see what green or lavender roses signify.
Other than colors having meaning behind them, the number of roses you receive can also tell a message.
- 1 rose: signifies love at first sight
- 2 roses: symbolizes you are deeply in love
- 3 roses: “I love you”
- Half a dozen (6): this is perfect if you are ready to take the next step with someone as it expresses the feeling of wanting to be with them
- 1 dozen (12): this is a good way of asking someone to be yours
- 17 roses: the ideal number to gift your wife on a special occasion like her birthday
There are plenty of other numerical symbols if you are interested in taking a peek into what another number might signify. Be sure to check this out if you are looking into gifting flowers soon as you want to send out the right message.
Benefits of the Rose
While roses are nice to look at, have you ever wondered how they are beneficial? Roses are used to make rose water which is greatly beneficial to many things. Rose water has been around for many years and is used in beauty products and foods.
Wishing to help your skin out? Rose water is great for soothing irritated skin, reducing skin redness, anti-aging, and additionally, used to relieve headaches and enhance your mood. The water has antidepressant and anti-anxiety properties that can relax you and even relieve headaches. Here you can see some of the other benefits rose water can have on your skin.
No matter what you are trying to say this Valentine’s Day, the rose will be able to help you communicate through their beauty.